Monday, September 12, 2005

Count down to D-Day - 5 Days

Well, it is has been a while since I've posted, mainly do to the
hurricane, and a back packing trip to the Smokies. Last week I had
to work only 1 day, which was nice, and then I got to fly up to
Nashville, and the rode up to Gatlinberg with my Dad and brother. We
got up at the butt-crack of dawn, and headed to the trail head to get
up the mountain. We were to travel 5 miles, and climb 3,000 feet in
those 5 miles. The climb up took us about 4.5 hours, and we had to
make several stops. My legs sometimes felt like they were on fire
because of all the up hill climbing. Once we go to the top, and to
the lodge we were staying at, we at some lunch, and then hiked out to
a place called Mrytle Point, where you can just see forever, and it
is so quiet. We sat up there for a few hours, bad idea, because I
ended up getting sun burned on my face and arms, and now I am
starting to peel. It was real pretty up there, you could hear
Swallows as they flew by trying to catch food. We then headed back
to the lodge, and ate dinner at 6, when they rang the bell. We met
the people who were in the same cabin as us, the husband was an
attorney, and the wife was a real estate agent. They were pretty
nice people, and they were up the mountain for their first time.
After all that we went up to Cliff Top Point, and watch the sunset.
After that there wasn't much else to do, so we went to bed. The next
morning we got up before dawn, and my Dad and brother went to watch
the sunrise. We then ate breakfast at the lodge again, and got ready
for the trek back down. I let gravity take control of my pace, and I
ended up getting down the mountain in 2 hours, while it took my dad
and brother 3.5 hours. We then went for a drive through Cade's Cove,
and headed to Lebanon for the night, and then I took off the next
morning for Jackson. That's what's been going on the past several days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home